A brief history of the Waring Rooms....
The St. Andrews In Memoriam Schools were built in 1869 by Walter Waring J.P. in memory of his father, Francis John Waring M.A. who was Vicar of Heybridge from January 15th 1798 until his death in 1833. Francis Waring was well known and loved in the whole Maldon area both for his wit and his eccentricity. Walter Waring was baptised at Heybridge in 1806 the son of Francis and Abra Maria Waring (formerly Polley). There are six graves of the Waring family in the churchyard alongside the north wall of the Chancel.
The schools continued to serve the Parish until the building of what is now known as the "Old" Heybridge school opposite Bentall’s shopping complex. The St Andrew’s schools closed in 1900. The Church has used the building as its meeting rooms ever since but it is still covered by a Trust which limits its use to educational activities and the Church cannot rent it out on a commercial basis. Until the mid-1970s there was no mains drainage or proper toilets and the heaters were very antiquated (and smelly) gas heaters. At that time it was the only available hall in Heybridge and was the rather unsuitable home of the Infant Welfare clinic. After the building of the (first) village hall on the Plantation Field, the Church was able to obtain a waiver on the Trust to undertake a programme of modernisation to bring the Waring Room to its present standard.
© 2006 St. Andrew's PCC